New Year’s Eve without doubt, is the biggest party of the year, and no party is complete without a scrumptious meal. This New Year’s Eve saw India celebrating by ordering in vociferously and biryani turned out to be its most favourite dish. More than 20,000 biryanis were delivered to Foodpanda customers across India on 31st December 2018 while over 300 were delivered in the last 30 minutes leading to 2019. Other popular food items on New Year’s Eve were Black Forest chocolate cake, chicken rolls, burgers and fried rice.
It was interesting to note that on the last day of 2018, a customer from Mumbai ordered food as many as 22 times! Customers from Hyderabad, Delhi NCR, Bengaluru, Mumbai and Vizag were hooked on to the Foodpanda app, ordering out the most as they bid farewell to 2018.
Over the course of the year, Foodpanda became the largest food delivery network with 125,000+ delivery partners working on-ground across 100 cities. Some highlights on food ordering trends on the platform across India in 2018 are:
India loves to order biryani, burgers, shakes and ice creams
- Favourite breakfast – Idli and Dosa
- Favourite lunch food item – Biryani, Shakes and Ice-cream
- Most ordered evening snacks – Momos, Pasta, Shakes and Ice-cream
- Favourite food for dinner – Chicken Biryani
- Go-to food item for late night cravings – Chicken Biryani, Rolls and Shakes
Indians from these cities order out the most – Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai
- Chicken Biryani emerged as the most ordered food item in Hyderabad
- Delhiites are crazy about Tikkas and Butter Chicken, however, an emerging new trend observed in Delhi NCR was orders of Hakka Noodles with Chicken Tikka
- Mumbaikars are big on Milkshakes and Burgers
- Sugar-free juices and Salads are getting more and more popular among Bangaloreans
Metros of tomorrow drool over Thaalis and Sweets the most!
- Vizag, Jaipur and Bhubaneswar lead the race of the cities that order out the most
- Masala Dosa and Chicken Biryani emerged as the most ordered food in Vizag
- Jaipur loves to eat Sweets and vegetarian Thaalis
- Customers in Bhubaneswar love to relish Rasgulla after their meal!
Varied cuisines and food items dominated the food ordering pattern giving an interesting sneak peek into the wide food palate across our country
- Dishes such as Chole Bhature, Rolls, Chicken Tikka were the comfort food of the northern region whereas Biryanis, Burgers and Salads were big hits in southern India
- The western parts craved for food items such as Shakes, Ice-cream, Paav Bhaaji; and the eastern cities were binging on Chicken Biryani, Rasgulla and Ice-cream
Foodpanda also observed that India loves to order the most in between 8-9pm; dinner time is India’s favourite to order out.
Over the year, December 11th emerged as a milestone day in food delivery history. A delivery partner named Chandrashekhar from Hyderabad, completed 38 orders in one day!